Did you know that we produce about 400 million tonnes of plastic waste every year?
There are 5.25 trillion macro and micro pieces of plastic in our ocean and 46,000 pieces in every square mile of ocean, weighing up to 269,000 tonnes.
Is it any wonder that our planet is choking on plastic?
While plastic has various uses, we have become addicted to single-use plastic products. This increased use of plastic has severe environmental, social, economic, and health consequences.
According to the UN Environment Program, only a small amount of plastic was produced during the 1950s-1970s. This made plastic waste management relatively manageable. However, between the 1970s and the 1990s, plastic waste generation more than tripled.
And by the early 2000s, the amount of plastic waste we generated rose more in a single decade than it had in the previous 40 years. And this is how we produce almost 400 million tonnes of plastic waste in the present day.
So, what can we do to eliminate the use of plastic and move towards a sustainable lifestyle?
Well, here are fifteen tips on how to live plastic-free.
- Bring your own bag.
- Carry a stainless steel water bottle.
- Don’t buy food in pre-portioned packaging.
- Don’t buy fruit and veggies wrapped in plastic.
- Invest in some airtight glass storage containers that are microwave and freezer safe.
- Switch to reusable metal straws.
- Avoid using disposable cups, plates, and cutlery.
- Grow your own herbs and salad leaves at home.
- Take your own container to the food court.
- Switch to an electric shaver.
- Recycle any plastic that you can – old toys, water bottles, etc.
- Return containers to the farmers’ market for reuse.
- Use natural cleaning cloths and scrubbers.
- Switch to plastic-free hygiene products.
- Compost food waste to avoid plastic garbage bags.
Now that you know more about how you can switch to a plastic-free lifestyle, what are you waiting for?
Make the switch today for a greener tomorrow!
For more information, stop by our website.